Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wicked

I loved watching Behind the Emerald Curtain not only because I have seen Wicked, but also because I really enjoy seeing how the parts of a whole are put together and what goes into making something so large as a Broadway play. The most interesting clip to me was the clip explaining how they created the Oz head. I really appreciate the small creative things that went into creating this entire production, but specifically the parts made to operate the Oz head. I was amazed when the mechanics explained that the eyebrows were moved by a drum pedal.

I also really loved watching all of the clips about the costuming. I wish that I could sew, but I have not a clue in the world how to. I was very surprised to hear that each costume is handmade rather than mass produced, considering how large of a production that Wicked is. I was also very surprised to hear the amount of work that goes into up keeping the sets of costumes, and how much excruciating detail they have to use to look at all of the different parts of the costume to make sure that not a single bead is missing from the 400+ costumes worn during the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment