Sunday, September 16, 2012

Broadway

I found it slightly more difficult than I had imagined to find different types of technology used in Broadway shows. With limited space to work with on a stage and limited amount of technological ability to work with, I imagine it takes extremely creative minds to come up with ways to capture the audiences attention with technology on the stage.
1. The first musical that came to my mind, regarding the use of technology, was Wicked. I saw Wicked in London and was in absolute awe of not only the dancing and music, but also the different aspects of technology that they used. From the steel dragon in the play, to the bubble contraption that Glinda rides, all of the different uses of technology were very cool. My favorite use was when they made Elphaba appear to be flying in the air, as seen in the video above. 

2. I have never seen the Broadway rendition of Spider-Man, nor do I actually intend to see it, but the clip montage of the musical during the Tony Awards, which is the clip added, actually showed really cool uses of technology. When the building rises from the floor, making an optical illusion as if Spider-man was jumping from on top of the building, was very creative. 

3. I have seen Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and the scene that really amazed me was "Music of the Night". As a 13 year old, I was amazed at how the boat was moving so fluently through the stage and around the fog. 

4. I have also never seen Shrek the Musical, although I do intend to go see it, because I've heard it's very funny. I have watched videos, and this scene called "What's up Duloc?" never ceases to amaze me. Although not extremely technology advanced, per say, the use of creative minds allowed for a full-sized man to appear to be a midget, like Lord Farquaad in the movie. With the use of some sort of technologically made contraption, the actor can move on his knees, which makes him look much shorter. 

5. I have seen Hairspray on Broadway, and although not extremely technologically advanced, the set design of the opening scene, "Good Morning Baltimore", was very creative and seemed to defy gravity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment