Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Trip to the Moon


As I was watching A Trip to the Moon, I had a lot of the same reactions as to when we watched the clips of the first films in class. I did not think the technology was clear enough to present a picture with that much detail way back when. I also could not imagine that the sets that were created to shoot these movies, like A Trip to the Moon, were as grandiose as they were.
Not that it annoyed me, but I think the biggest advancement in film, rather than film itself, is being able to add sound to film. It really makes a world of difference being able to hear the people talk rather than listening to a narrator. I'm not sure if the narrator was a choice for the film rather than to hear the actors speak, but I didn't enjoy the narration very much. It dragged out the motions of the actors. For example, the narrator would say, "and then we walked into the shell", and for another 30 seconds after, the actors were still transitioning into the shell, but there was no narration to listen to until the next motion was made.
Aside from the actual technology of the video, I was amazed at the content and idea of the movie. As a very early science fiction film, I'm sure that the actors thought the idea of taking a trip to the movie was so extremely far-fetched, considering the first trip to the moon did not happen until 57 years later by the Soviet Union. This film could be compared to today's modern day science fiction film about finding aliens or landing men on Mars. It made me think that if people were making movies about things they did not think could be humanly possible in the future, what will be the advancements in technology and what will happen in our future? Are the movies of today predicting the world of tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment