Monday, October 8, 2012

Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar

I picked to listen to Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar because the name sounded captivating. Although when I started listening I discovered that Johnny Dollar is an insurance agent. I thought, maybe this will not be so interesting. Then it began to turn into a murder mystery. There were different actors in the show as opposed to a narrator, like a book-on-tape. There was also descriptive music to go along with startling events that would happen. The actors had a strong New York accent, so I envisioned men smoking cigars with low-tipped hats as they were talking to each other. Kind of the gangster ages of New York 1920's era. The mystery took place in an amusement park, as carts fell off of ferris wheels and killed people. There was a villain, named Carter Lacey, he admitted that he would kill people. He was in jail for killing a person. Lacey also admitted that out of the three people that were first interviewed, two of them would be dead. The rest of the broadcast was trying to find out who would die. I think I missed how this turned from an insurance agent man to a detective story. As I was listening to both Johnny Dollar and War of the Worlds, I found it very difficult to concentrate and follow along. As part of the generation that never really knew life without or besides television, I felt as if I needed a picture to follow along and understand a plot. In a book I can read and picture a whole entire scene, but I can read at my own pace. If you miss something on a radio station, it's difficult to go back and listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment