Monday, October 8, 2012

Broadcast-The War of the Worlds

As soon as Orson Welles started talking, I was creeped out because of how his voice sounded. Like it was stated in the documentary about television, without having a picture, radio allows the listener to create whatever picture they want in their minds of whatever they are listening to. I envisioned a creepy guy, speaking in the dark. I was kind of expecting him to say, "You are about to enter, the Twilight Zone!" and all of my lights would flash out and the windows would crack. The breaks in-between the broadcast, with the music and the weather, allowed for the listeners to think that they were just listening to a regular broadcast. Although, the interruptions regarding the Hydrogen gas, which were a part of the trick, were very good additives into leading the listeners into believing and partaking in the arrival of the "aliens". The interviews between the fake Generals and the Vice Presidents of companies, along with the orders to fire bombs and gunshots, were also a very intelligent move into making the listeners really believe they were being attacked. If I were listening to this when it actually happened, I would be in hysterics. I can understand how people were freaking out over the broadcast, as they depended so heavily on the radio to relay the real news and facts of what's happening around them. I feel as if this broadcast actually sped up the production of the television. I don't know how people could establish what news was real and what news was fake after this broadcast was aired. Therefore, they not only needed to hear the news, people needed to see the news in real-time in order to believe that the news being reported is actually real.

No comments:

Post a Comment