Monday, October 22, 2012

Dada Manifesto

The Dada Manifesto was first recited by Hugo Ball in 1917. The second writing of the Dada Manifesto was written by Tzara in 1918 and was considered one the the most important Dada writings. Other manifestos were published in the future, but none were as important as Tzara's as it explained the complexity of the Dada movement. In these manifestoes, dada is explained as simple, that it can mean anything. Come before or after any word, and complete the sentence. Simple as that. I would say not so simple to one that was not as radical as those in the dada movement. Dada, in Ball's manifesto is also described as the cure for everything and the answer to everything. A way to find bliss, a way to become famous and a means to ones end. Tzara's manifesto mainly describes the way that the poems and the vowels and the sounds move through speech and how they explain things and make actions. The Dada movement, especially the poetry through sounds reminds me slightly of a neurological condition called synesthesia. People that are diagnosed with synesthesia are able to combine letters or colors in capital or lower case in order to form words that accurately describe an action or an instance. For example, my friend Becca was diagnosed with synesthesia, and her speciality is naming people. She told me that my name is dugger, all with lowercase letters. It seems odd to some that may not understand the neurological condition, but "dugger" accurately describes my personality and my being. The combination of letters and how they look is, in essence, me. It reminds me a lot of the Dada movement, because that is exactly what they were doing, but purposefully instead of actually having the condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment