Monday, October 8, 2012

Raymond Kurzweil

In class, as I was watching the parts of the documentary with Raymond Kurzweil, I did not really like him. I thought he was a bit odd, as most futurists tend to be. I also thought he may be a computer himself, his wrinkles in his forehead eerily resembled lines in a computer disk. I decided to do some research on him to see what this guys really about. Other people tend to think he's a bit cooler than I think he is, as Forbes, Inc. has even recognized him as the "rightful heir to Thomas Edison". It turns out he was the original inventor of the flatbed scanner and the first print-to-speech machine for the blind, which in my opinion is an extremely important invention for the handicapped. I'm starting to think as if the documentary shaped him as some Scientologist-Mayan2012-alien kidnapping, futuristic Jetson. Rather than writing about War of the Worlds and Cyborgs taking over the world, it seems that most of Kurzweil's books are actually about health and how to remain healthy, as he has faced some real health issues by not taking care of himself. After researching about him, Kurzweil, nor his opinions, do not seem that god-awful. Moral: Don't judge a computer by it's monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment